Tuesday, January 27, 2009

SMS short code patent lawsuit

I was reading my daily mobile marketer tips when I saw this article marked “breaking news.” It is kind of difficult to imagine something so pressing and urgent in SMS text message marketing that it can actually be considered breaking news. Either way, it got me interested in reading more, which is exactly what I did.

Suffice to say, the article discusses how a lot of mobile marketing firms are being accused of SMS short code patent infringement. The article then goes on to say that a case of this magnitude could “roil” the mobile marketing industry and affect many SMS text messaging programs.

As you know, I have been asking over and over again why SMS text message marketing still has yet to take off in the US. But once again, though, an article of this kind of nature makes me wonder if SMS will still be as big as predicted since it was being touted at the hottest thing for 2009? Can something like this actually change the direction of mobile marketing? Especially when a similar case cost the makers of BlackBerry to payout over $612 million due to a past lawsuit.

No comments:

Post a Comment